Thursday, May 14, 2015

School is Out for the Summer


Spring Semester has ended and I am soaking up the free time I have this summer. I am looking forward to a fun, relaxing, and restful summer after a crazy semester. Spring semester was rather challenging in many ways for me, but I am praising the Lord for the strength He gave me each and every day.

Receiving my cords for NSCS. I am thankful for an incredible young lady that has taken over as President of the South Alabama chapter.

Over Christmas break I began switching medications for my Crohn's Disease from Remicade to an injection therapy, Humira. I did not respond well to this injection therapy and at the beginning of the semester. It was hard to start the semester flaring and having little to no energy. I was placed on steroids to hopefully kick the flare and allow my Humira time to work. Unfortunately that was not the case and after twelve weeks of being on the medicine I was declared a Humira failure. I was able go off and on steroids throughout the semester but remained on steroids more often than not. I have a love/hate relationship with steroids. Steroids help me to feel better and give me a boost of energy, but unfortunately there are side effects such as a racing heart, insomnia, and fluid retention. Steroids were a life saver for me this semester as I fought to have energy to complete classwork and student teach three days a week.

After being my doctor and I made the decision together to declare Humira a failure therapy for my Crohn's we had to decide on a treatment option that would be best. After a lot of discussion we thought that the next best step for me would be to try the newest medication on the market for Crohn's Disease: Entyvio. We began the approval process for the medicine Mid-March and after 9 weeks we are still trying to over come hiccups pertaining to getting the medicine approved. My nurse has been wonderful and done all she can to make sure I can get this medicine. After hitting many roadblocks in getting the medicine approved we have also hit bumps in finding an infusion center or treatment center that is willing and able to administer the medication. Because of the roadblocks I have encountered in the process of getting Entyvio approved I have gone several months without an infusion or injectable medications for Crohn's. I continue to stay on my daily medicines, but have not had the energy level I should and had to be very careful in watching what I eat. As I continue to move forward in this process I am trusting the Lord's plan because I believe He will work out all of the details.

I was inducted into Who's Who Among America's Colleges and Universities in April

It was a very busy semester with 15 hours of coursework and student teaching three days a week. I continue to enjoy student teaching at Pearl Haskew Elementary. I was in third grade this semester and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been blessed with incredible cooperating teachers and classes both semesters I have been at Haskew. Through my coursework this semester I was challenged and learned more about effectively teaching students. My Crohn's created some challenges, especially with a lower energy level, throughout the semester, but I relied on the Lord for my strength each day to complete assignments, go to class, and student teach. At the end of this semester I was incredibly thankful to have completed the semester through the ups and downs and challenges Crohn's presented throughout the semester.
My last day of student teaching for the semester. I will miss those sweet third graders. 

One of the most exciting parts of this semester was filling out and turning in my graduation application. December 12, 2015 will be a very special day. I am super excited to complete my last semester of student teaching and I will fulfill the last of my requirements for my bachelors degree. Freshman year of college I was extremely sick and was diagnosed with Crohn's. Although it has created challenges along the way The Lord has given me the perseverance to push through. All the Glory goes to Him!
  
Graduation Application: Check!!! So excited for December 12, 2015








No comments:

Post a Comment