Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Joy of The Lord is My Strength



As I write this I am on an airplane to travel home for a few days. I look forward to my time at home even if it means that I have four or five different doctors appointments between Friday and Monday morning. I treasure the time I get to spend with my sweet family. I get to see them every seven and a half weeks as I travel home for doctors appointments. I also get to this sweet precious little boy named Ben and his parents. :) They have become family to us and I look forward to seeing them.



Crohn's Disease hasn't stopped me and I don't plan to allow it to. It may slow me down or keep me from doing all I want to do but it certainly hasn't stopped me. One of my challenges this semester has been keeping the energy to student teach in the midst of a flare. When the Lord placed me at Pearl Haskew for student teaching just over a year ago I had no idea the blessing the school, teachers, staff and students would be to me. Even on the days I wake up feeling weak or crummy I look forward to going to the Pearl. I can't believe I will finish student teaching and graduate in under 50 days. One of my previous Gastroenterologist had a goal to get me through school! Reaching this goal is so close and I can't wait to share that with him.



"...do not grieve, for The joy of the the Lord is your strength." (Nehemiah 8:10) This scripture couldn't be any truer for my right now. Without the Lord I would not be able to push through the weakness and pain that Crohn's can cause on my body. The Lord has surely blessed me in so many ways and for that I am forever grateful. I know He has a perfect plan for my life in so many ways, including using my Crohn's.



I've been on steroids since July now and this week I've been a little frustrated as I can not seem to wean to a lower dose without getting significantly worse. There are many days I'll avoid food until a certain point in the day so that I can make it through the day teaching. I'm thankful for modern medicine and the ability for doctors to continue to research new ways to treat Crohn's. I'm on a fairly new infusions medication that is still in the safety trail phase. I have been on it since May and we are still not saying 100% if it is working or not working. We are believing that it will be the medicine that helps me successfully manage my Crohn's. :) Each day I pray for the Lord's will in my life in every aspect, including remission of my Crohn's.

As I am flying home I look forward to being able to have the comfort of home and being with my amazing parents. They have been so amazing through this entire journey. They often give time of their crazy schedules to go with me to the doctor, fight the insurance battles, or comfort me when I'm frustrated. The Lord has blessed me with so many cheerleaders and supporters in my life. I can't wait to see what He has in store for my life.


1 comment: