Thursday, October 30, 2014

So Long Remicade!



It has been way too long since I have blogged. I have thought about it many times but really my schedule this semester hasn't allowed for much of anything besides school work and student organization activities. I am finally taking a really short break from homework. Although this semester has been absolutely hectic it has been a wonderful semester. 

This semester is my first semester of candidacy which means that I am student teaching three days a week and in classes the other two days. The class load is a lot and can be overwhelming at times, but in the end it will be well worth it. I am thoroughly enjoying my student teaching experience in second grade. I look forward to the days I get to go to the school. 

It was the first day of classes and I got to have lunch with this cutie!

Some pretty amazing classmates and friends. 

What a sweet surprise to have this sweet friends bring cupcakes for my birthday to my CT's classroom. 

I have also had the honor to serve as president for two student organizations. I have thoroughly enjoyed serving as an officer of NSCS. One of our biggest events was held just a few weeks ago and my momma was so gracious to come down and help me for five days around this event. Future Educators is Action is a new student organization in The College of Education and have had the privilege to serve as the founding president. One of the things I have enjoyed most about being involved in student organizations is all of the amazing individuals that I have the opportunity to work with. 


Along with an extremely hectic schedule comes a lot of stress and Crohn's doesn't really like stress. I am working hard to keep a positive attitude no matter how I am feeling. The Lord has given me immunity from the many germs in the schools and I have remarkably been able to stay relatively free of viruses and colds. 

Crohn's has become a little bit of a challenge for me recently, but I am thankful the Lord has given the doctor's the wisdom and discernment to treat my case. Back at the beginning of October I was seen by a gastroenterologist at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. This visit came at the direction of my doctor in Pensacola to see someone with an even deeper knowledge of Crohn's Disease and could give some recommendations. It was a very long day of several doctor's appointments and tests, but we were able to get a better grasp on a treatment plan for my Crohn's. 

Tomorrow I will get another Remicade treatment and it will hopefully be one of my last treatments, if not the last Remicade treatment for me. I have been on Remicade for two years this month. Remicade has served its purpose but the infusion reactions are becoming worse and its effectiveness is not as strong. Right before Thanksgiving I will have another colonoscopy and upper GI scope. After this step I will hopefully switch to Humira self injectables. If there is a strictures in my intestines I will undergo another bowel resectioning over Christmas break. I am praying that there is no strictures or that they are able to balloon them open in the colonoscopy. I am looking forward to switching medications to the self injectables and the hope is that I won't have as much of the pain I have with my infusions. 


With a new treatment plan comes so many unknowns, anxiousness, and a little bit of fear. As I continue through this journey, my constant prayer is that I would see my Crohn's as a blessing. I don't know exactly how The Lord wants to use this in my life but I do know that He has a plan. The plans I think I have for my life pale in comparison for the things the Lord has for my life. He will continue to be my source of joy and strength. 


No comments:

Post a Comment