Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Lord's Perfect Plan


Two years ago on April 6, 2012 I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I vaguely remember waking up from anesthesia and the doctor leaning over trying to explain that I had Crohn's Disease and I would be placed on steroids immediately. He wanted to see me in the office just a few weeks later to discuss the long term of living with Crohn's. I was so relieved to hear I had Crohn's Disease. That may seem kind of crazy, but when you have been sick for so long, you welcome the answers, no matter what they may be. The biggest fear I had came from the words: "there is no cure, but remission is possible."

Now, two years later, I am getting closer and closer to remission and thrilled. I would love to say that it has been an easy road and smooth sailing, but there have been some bumps in the road. When I was first diagnosed with Crohn's I knew that it was part of the Lord's plan and He would use it for His honor and glory, but I was unsure how. I still do not know exactly how and in all the ways He is using and going to use my Crohn's, but I can say that I am thankful for this blessing in disguise.

The first year with Crohn's was the hardest by far. I struggled to understand why I had such a disease and adjust to life. Crohn's is not a disease that can easily fixed, but requires a lifestyle change. As a nineteen year old, it was hard to accept changing what I was used to. There were no hard facts when it came to diet changes, flare triggers, medication regimens, and treatments plans or options. Crohn's is unpredictable and affects each person differently, this was part of my frustration. I wanted someone to tell me what to eat and not eat; as well as, what medications to take that would make me feel better.  All I was told is that certain foods could cause a flare, stress added to the severity, and we would begin with trying several different medications out.
Mardi Gras 2012, just a few months before being diagnosed 


I made a trip to Washington DC to visit some friends just one month before I was diagnosed.
This picture was taken the day after I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and after several very long months of being very sick. 

I really don't like a lot of these pictures, because I had almost every side effect possible from the steroids I was placed on to help me. My mom's wedding was just three weeks before my surgery and I was and had been on a very high dose of steroids. I was extremely swollen and had a bad "moon face." Although I do not like to see picture from during that time, I know that it is all part of having Crohn's and where the Lord had me in my life. It amazes me to see how far He has brought me.  He has given me the strength to push through on even the toughest days and an amazing support system to encourage me along the way. 


Reception dinner with the cousins

One month off of steroids, but still very swollen. 

One year later from the picture above... I saw these two pictures compared for the first time yesterday and I could not believe it. Crohn's Disease will not stop me!

Christmas 2013

Jan 2013: Dinner with friends for the first time in a long time

April 2013: One year from being diagnosed with Crohn's 

 April 2013: One year from being diagnosed with Crohn's 


Summer 2013: One year from surgery 
These pictures are from this past summer where I felt like I was able to have a summer again. I worked at Daycamp, traveled to Houston, visited friends, and enjoyed beach vacation with my family. This is when I began to really adjust to my life with Crohn's disease. I was doing things that I did before Crohn's Disease. I was regaining the life I had back. 








School 2013-2014
School this year has been crazy busy with taking 19 hours in the fall and taking a lighter semester this Spring with only 12 hours. I have been able to get back into the "school" routine and do things with friends. The first school year after I was diagnosed was hard because I was sick quite often and was unable to do many things with my friends because I felt so yucky. This year I have relied on the Lord's strength daily and allowed Him to carry my through those days when I felt weak. I have enjoyed "school" this year much more than I did last year! :)












I may not be in remission quite yet and I know that I will live with Crohn's Disease, but I'm adjusting and have a new normal. Two years ago I would never have imagined that I would be at the point I am today. To my doctor's I may not be a "healthy" patient that is a normal 21 year old, but I don't let that stop me! I may have more doctors appointments, outpatient procedures, medications to take, and "sick" days that most college students my age, but I'm thankful that the Lord has carried me through. He has used Crohn's to teach me many things. I have learned that no matter what, His plan is perfect and mine does not matter. I have learned to completely relying on God, for everything, even the little things that seem like they may not matter. I still have days where I do not feel good and days where I have to get Remicade infusions, but even on those days that are rough I know the Lord is in control and HE IS GOOD! My joy is found in the Lord and nothing else. It is my hope in God that allows me  to smile through my infusions or continue through my day when I feel physically weak. Two years ago today, my life changed and now I have a new normal! God is good all the time and all the time God is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment